Today, Skansen is used for arranging parties, weddings, corporate gatherings, etc. and most people usually gather here on New Year's Eve to watch the fireworks over Gothenburg and celebrate the new year.
Skansen Kronan was built starting on June 9, 1687. The name Kronan was added some time after the crown was placed on top. The architect Erik Dahlbergh has designed the Crown and also the Skansen Lion. King Charles XI approved the drawings and the fort was taken into use many years later, 1698. The roof was not completed until 1700. Its walls are about 4-5 meters thick. The fortress has four floors.
What happened over the years?
Skansen has never been involved in any battle. Over time, the fort lost its value in the military. Between the years 1731-33, it was found that the fort needed to be renovated, among other things, the floor in the powder vaults was rotten. The cannons that were on the fort were disarmed in 1806. They repaired and then the fort was untouched again until the end of the 19th century.
Skansen ended up as a prison. It was necessary to move about 200 prisoners from Carlsten's fortress on Marstrand. In the 1870s, the fort was used as a residence, when there was a great shortage of housing in the city. In 1904, Skansen Kronan became a military museum and in Sep. In 2004, the military museum was closed down.
The crown on top
The first crown that came on plastic on top was carved in wood and fitted with lead and gilded. It was placed on top in 1699. An inspection was made in 1733 and it turned out that the wooden symbol was rotten, it was then replaced with a wooden lantern.
Some nice facts
The stone is believed to have come from old Elfsborg, which was located on the south side of the Göta River. Today, the place is Klippan and is part of the Majorna district in Gothenburg. The fortress was built in wood and later against granite and brick.
State building mark
Skansen Kronan has been a state building monument since 1935 and belongs to the national cultural heritage.