Buy food from all corners of the world or how about having lunch in one of the market halls in Gothenburg. How about good cheese, locally produced meat, olives that are stored with love and freshly baked bread. Treat yourself to something good for the weekend.
Kungstorget's Market Hall, also known as Stora Saluhallen, was built at the Götaverken shipyard in the port of Gothenburg between the years 1888-1889. The market hall is located on Kungstorget and the sale of food started here on February 1, 1889. The architect is Hans Hedlund. Among other things, he has designed a number of well-known Gothenburg buildings, such as Televerket's house on Kungsgatan and the Dickson Public Library on Allegatan. The market hall was declared a listed building in 1985.
Kungstorget is located inside the moat. Kungstorget was formed in 1847 after the city fortifications were removed. Before the square, it was the bastion Johannes Dux that was in this triangular area. Johannes Dux was one of the strongest fortifications around the city.
Before the start in 1848, all markets with trade took place on Gustav Adolf's square. After the beginning of the 19th century, the place was used for the sale of timber and timber, the place was then called Trädtorget. Some time later in the middle of the 19th century, the place was called Nya Torget. The bazaar bridge Kungstorget came into being at the same time.
In 1850, semicircular bazaar lengths were built at the southern part of the square. These were used for sales of various kinds, there were a little over 75 stores. Most were owned by weavers from Marks Härad. The bridge over Vallgraven "Bazarbron" was built at the same time. Meat sales also moved into the bazaar lengths.
The market hall was created because the sales outside made it dirty and bacteria spread over the square. At that time, there were horses everywhere and you can imagine the nice combination of animals and food sales. The bazaar was demolished in November 1966.
As a complement, Stora Saluhallen was built to the north side of the square in early 1889. Meat sales unfortunately continued to be traded on the outside, but after the Health Authority banned outdoor sales, the Market Hall needed to be expanded for new meat shops. The market hall was expanded in 1906 and at the same time the stalls on the long sides were built in and another thirty new stalls were built. In the middle of the 1850s, a bridge was built over Vallgraven. In 1883 it was named the Bazaar Bridge.
The western Kronhus sheds were built between 1764-1759 and served as a storage place for railway materials and firehouses. The eastern sheds were built between 1746 -1748 and at that time there was a smithy, wheelwright and workshop here.
From the beginning, this was Gothenburg's main fire station from 1891 to 1990. After that, it became a small copy of the large market hall at Kungstorget. The market hall is sandwiched between the houses in Linnestaden. Here you can buy delicacies and have a good lunch. The variations are many.
The market hall at Hisingen was inaugurated on 21 September 2013. The hall is located in Lundby on Hisingen in Gothenburg. The building was designed by Gustav Apell Arkitektkontor. Here you can buy various goods and there is also a selection with some restaurants.